London neighborhoods and hotel recs

• London neighborhoods and hotel recs

Posted by landk on July 12, 2024 at 10:47 am

My wife and I will be traveling to London in December. She uses a manual wheelchair and requires toilet grab bars and a roll in shower. We are looking for recommendations for the best region/neighborhood to stay in London for our week there as well as hotel recs (mobility accessible with roll in shower and toilet grab bars) in the area. Appreciate any recommendations!

landk replied 1 month, 3 weeks ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Carlos

July 12, 2024 at 11:22 am

PREMIER INNS are very accessible. But, do not use the HUB hotels of PREMIER INNS. Those are very small but accessible.

I stayed at a HUB BY PREMIER INNS near Westminster Abbey. It was a nice and safe area, close to a lot of things to do, including Big Ben, and just on the other side of the Thames from the London Eye.

• landk

July 13, 2024 at 10:12 am

Appreciate the info.

• Geordie Travels

July 12, 2024 at 11:27 am

Personally, I would recommend trying to find a place in London’s West End. Neighbourhoods such as Soho and Covent Garden are good shouts, and you’re not too far away from lots of interesting places to visit. Soho is also great if you guys like a bit of nightlife. If you prefer somewhere a bit quieter and perhaps more scenic, try Richmond — you’ll have to commute in and out of the city centre for sightseeing, but there’s plenty of lovely things to do in the southwest of the city.

In terms of hotels, in Soho there’s the Karma Sanctum, which has roll-in showers and grab rails in the bathroom — though it is a little on the pricey side. I’ve often stayed in one of the CitizenM hotels, and all four of their city centre hotels are in great locations. There’s one next to the Tower of London, one next to London Victoria Station (not far from Buckingham Palace and the Houses of Parliament), one in Shoreditch (again great for nightlife), and finally, one on the Bankside.

If you need any specific advice, feel free to ask, and I will try my best to help out!

Here’s hoping you have an amazing time in London!

• landk

July 13, 2024 at 10:12 am

Thanks for sharing your insights.

• Chris G Veitch

July 12, 2024 at 3:32 pm

You may want to check out AccessAble http://www.accessable.co.uk, they offer detailed accessibility information about places to stay and visit to help you find a place that is right for your wife and yourself .

This is a link to detailed access guides for London’s South Bank. http://www.accessable.co.uk/london-south-bank

The VisitLondon website http://www.visitlondon.com/traveller-information/essential-information/accessible-london also has information on accessibility in London in partnership with AccessAble, highlighting things to see and do.

I hope this is of some help and that you have a great time in london. Remember, you may need an umbrella in December!

• landk

July 13, 2024 at 10:11 am

Thank you for these great links.

Skip to content