Wheelchairs in Tokyo

• Wheelchairs in Tokyo

Posted by bexo on August 1, 2024 at 5:09 pm

My partner and I are planning a trip. We will both need to hire wheelchairs. She thinks Tokyo will be too busy for us to use wheelchairs but I think that Tokyo will be where we need wheelchairs the most.

What does the hive mind say?

Josh Grisdale replied 1 month, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    August 1, 2024 at 5:34 pm

I’d say you are both right!

You will be surprised at the amount of walking you need to do – sometimes the accessible route is the longer route! For example, a lot of the elevators in stations were added after the station was built, so they have been added where they can be added, not where they should be for convenience. So you may need to go to the opposite end of the platform for an elevator only to backtrack to essentially the same spot for the next elevator.

On the other hand, while the crowds shouldn’t be an issue, many shops and restaurants are fairly small and may have trouble fitting two wheelchair users at the same time. Additionally, many elevators can only take one wheelchair at a time – so you might take a lot of extra time getting in/out of places.

Since you are debating getting them, I assume you are both somewhat able to walk? Maybe you could get one and take turns?

• butterflyqueen

August 4, 2024 at 11:16 am

Anyone know what qualifies as a disability ID? I’m from the US and the only thing I can think of that would be close as the parking placard

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
      August 4, 2024 at 2:03 pm

Hi Victoria, an excellent question. It might be good to start a new discussion on the topic from the Discussions tab in the group.

• bexo

August 4, 2024 at 12:08 pm

Well, we’re both used to lifts and things being where they can fit them rather than where they should fit them – and shops are always too small or too crammed full of stuff in the UK to be that wheelchair friendly (supermarkets being the exception, of course) It’s mainly distance (and, of course, stairs) either of us difficulties with. We can both get out to go in a particular shop or restaurant, if we can leave a chair safely somewhere – and if it’s gonna be safe anywhere, it’s gonna be Japan.

Skip to content