Wheelchair Parking

• Wheelchair Parking

Posted by gimom07 on July 27, 2024 at 10:51 pm

I will be in a wheelchair most of the day when I go (June 2025). But I can walk some. I can even use stairs. I have a wheelchair because I can’t walk more than 30 minutes at a time, and maybe up to 2-3 hours total on a “good” day. I am *hoping* due to this I could be less restricted with things to do. However, when I do wanna go into a tight fitting store or restaurant, where can I stash my wheelchair? I decided I will be using a lightweight transport chair (I can’t use manual). I was thinking I could maybe fold it and park it on a bicycle rack, with a lock, or ask the store or restaurant manager if I can park it behind their desk? Is that too much to ask? Any other ideas?

Nick replied 1 month, 1 week ago 3 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    July 27, 2024 at 11:01 pm

Hi

I’m Not familiar with that type of wheelchair. Can you provide a link or picture to help?

• gimom07

July 27, 2024 at 11:42 pm

Something like this.

• Nick

July 28, 2024 at 3:35 am

Hi I understand you have issues and feel that on a good day 3hours is your maximum. I think when you get to Japan your adrenaline will give you so much more time. It’s a different culture and holiday experience .When I went with my wife a couple of months ago we expanded our safe zone by miles because of the experience of visiting a totally different country and the buzz it gave us . Don’t worry you will be fine and well looked after everywhere you go. There is total respect for people with disabilities so you will find you will be super charged as your holiday goes on . Hope this gives you some confidence.

• gimom07

July 28, 2024 at 3:41 am

I wish. I was definitely exaggerating with the 3 hours, that’s more like wishful thinking🤣🤣 but I do think I could manage 2 hours on a good day with rest in between each spurt. Or should be. I haven’t tried being out all day for 2 weeks in a row since being ill!! Anyway with my disability I absolutely cannot walk around all day, I wish I could, though thank you for your response!! I really just need to know if my expectations of being able to park or stash my wheelchair somewhere is just completely ridiculous or doable.

• Nick

July 28, 2024 at 3:59 am

Don’t worry you can get help everywhere but do your homework . Don’t go where you know it will be impossible. It’s common sense really. We studied Japan for 6 months before we arrived and got everything spot on because all the information was 100% correct. Great country and when you get there you will see how great it is . Do your homework, so much fun reading and choosing what you want and knowing what you may not feel comfortable with. Enjoy .

• gimom07

July 28, 2024 at 4:13 am

Research isn’t my strong suit but I’m trying. I’m reading what places a wheelchair friendly and what not. I’m here asking this question because I have no clue how to research this question…😬

• Nick

July 28, 2024 at 4:29 am

Ok I’ll give you my take. My wife is totally dependent on her wheelchair. She can’t walk at all. We did our homework totally to take our adventure to Japan I am her carer . We took a 14 hour flight to Japan from London . We did our homework on the total help the airline could give my wife as far as going to the toilet. We requested help which was given with 100 % efficiency from the airline . We organised transport to our hotel in a accessible taxi once landed and only did what we were comfortable with whilst in Japan, We booked a hotel with the specification that suited our needs .We hired a guide to take us around Tokyo who knew the easiest way for someone with a disability to get around Tokyo without issues .We booked accessible taxi to enjoy other things that we wanted to do . Having a wheelchair is not an issue just something you yourself have to cope with. Never had a better holiday in our lives. I hope our experience may help you overcome your issues .

• gimom07

July 28, 2024 at 4:41 am

Thank you so much! It’s a little bit challenging researching someone like me as someone who doesn’t need a wheelchair all the time (but it’s mostly just hard for ME to research cuz I am bad at it …. haha), but I also know totally being in a wheelchair is much harder and I’m truly grateful for everything I can do. I am happy to hear your experience. Thank you for taking time out of your day to reply to me. I really appreciate it!

• Nick

July 28, 2024 at 4:49 am

No Problem. Your wheelchair will not be a problem. I promise you. Like I said do your homework. It’s part of your holiday researching things especially if you have specific needs . Best holiday of our lives .Such a great country .

Skip to content