wheelchair accessible Airbnb in Tokyo and Kyoto?

• wheelchair accessible Airbnb in Tokyo and Kyoto?

Posted by juliafein on March 20, 2024 at 9:26 am

Hi all! I’m looking for a wheelchair accessible Airbnb in Tokyo and Kyoto. It’s been hard to find one that is big enough for my chair and doesn’t have steps. Has anyone stayed in any before? Thanks!

AnhJon replied 3 months ago 6 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    March 20, 2024 at 9:38 am

Hi

Unfortunately accessible Airbnbs are pretty much non-existent here in Japan. All single properties (houses) have steps. So, apartments are likely the only option, but they will still often have a step at the genkan…

If you are looking for a place with a kitchen, the hotel chain Mimaru has fully furnished apartment-style rooms. Here is an example:

https://www.accessible-japan.com/hotels/japan/tokyo/taito-city/high-range/mimaru-tokyo-asakusa-station/

Is there a motivation for choosing an Airbnb over a hotel?

• schroth-sensei

March 20, 2024 at 9:51 am

Also, how long do you plan to stay?

• juliafein

March 20, 2024 at 10:05 am

4 days in tokyo and kyoto each but we’re also hoping to go to an onsen.

• schroth-sensei

March 20, 2024 at 10:29 am

I see, for that amount of time you may be stuck with hotel room(s). You can try to find a share house (essentially apartment rooms with some shared amenities like a kitchen), but usually the minimum stay is much longer.

• AsiaMarketMakers

April 1, 2024 at 7:37 am

You’d be best to stay in hotels. That way it’s much easier to access hospitals and doctors if needed.

They will usually go out of their way to help you too. I have found booking.com a good place to book hotels. You can also message them to make sure you can book a suitable room.

• alexmarie

April 2, 2024 at 1:57 pm

I recently booked an Airbnb in Sumida City and the owner said the apartment is barrier free for people with disabilities! The pictures look great. There is an elevator and ramp that goes to the apartment. And the bathroom looks big enough to fit a wheelchair.

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
      April 2, 2024 at 3:07 pm

Are you able to share a link to the property?

• AnhJon

June 20, 2024 at 6:41 am

Can you share the link to this listing?

Skip to content