Taking the train to Kawaguchiko in a wheelchair

• Taking the train to Kawaguchiko in a wheelchair

Posted by Josh Grisdale on August 31, 2024 at 11:47 am

So, even though I’ve lived in Japan for 17 years I’ve never been to Kawaguchiko. Has anyone gone in a wheelchair?

I know the buses from Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko are NOT accessible, so I’ll be going by train.

There are several direct Fujikyu trains from Shinjuku until 10:30 but after that you need to take a regular train to Otsuki and then transfer to a Fujikyu for the last hour of the trip.

While a direct train is nice, I don’t actually need to arrive until later in the day….

Have you gone to Kawaguchiko on the train? Please share your experience!

Josh Grisdale replied 1 week ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • alliejay

September 1, 2024 at 9:11 pm

I am feeling quite chuffed to be able to answer one of your questions for a change! 😃

We took the direct train last year. Even though I am partially ambulatory we still didn’t want to risk the non accessible buses. The time table for the direct trains is more limited but I think it’s doable with a little planning and worth it in my opinion.

One thing to be mindful of is that some of the trains tend to split (one part of the train goes to Fujikawaguchiko and other carriages go somewhere else) so at some point many of the people going to Kawaguchiko had to crowd in to our carriage and it was standing room only for them the rest of the way. Be sure to reserve your seat in the right carriage so you have sitting space the whole way. Probably quite intuitive for a local but as tourists with no Japanese language we simply got lucky our seats worked out 😬

Have fun!

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
      September 1, 2024 at 10:11 pm

Thanks! Did you reserve online, or go somewhere?

• alliejay

September 2, 2024 at 9:39 pm

We reserved online

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    September 7, 2024 at 12:19 pm

I ended up taking Fuji Excursion from Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko. Accessible seat and toilet.

Skip to content