Safe to Travel around Tokyo and Osaka Alone in A Power Wheelchair?

• Safe to Travel around Tokyo and Osaka Alone in A Power Wheelchair?

Posted by Carlos on August 1, 2024 at 2:54 pm

Is it safe to travel around Tokyo and Osaka by myself in a power wheelchair?

I’m planning a trip to Tokyo (and possibly Tokyo Disney), Osaka, and the 2025 Osaka World Expo. I already have travel agencies in mind and know when I want to go. However, I’m having trouble finding anyone to accompany me. Family isn’t an option, and my friends have already planned their 2025 trips with their loved ones and can’t take additional time off work.

In my daily life, I do many things independently. I’ve traveled mostly by myself and, living in Los Angeles, I’m familiar with staying safe and handling societal issues like crime, intoxicated people, and homelessness. I understand every major city has areas to avoid, and I research to steer clear of them. I stick to major streets, avoid isolated shortcuts, and am cautious about my money and belongings. For Japan, I’ve been researching for years through YouTube channels like ACCESSIBLE JAPAN. I plan to keep my friends updated on my whereabouts and register my travel plans with the US State Department for safety.

I do need assistance with bathing, toileting, and dressing each morning, which takes about two hours. I was hoping to hire a morning assistant in Tokyo and Osaka for this.

Is it feasible to visit Tokyo, Tokyo Disney, Osaka, and the World Expo by myself, or is it too dangerous or risky?

Carlos replied 1 month, 2 weeks ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    August 1, 2024 at 3:38 pm

Hi Carlos,

I’m not sure I can speak to the getting caregivers part, but will try to answer about safety.

I’ve lived in Tokyo for over 17 years now, and while I generally need to travel with someone even on shorter excursions, I have been on my own many times and never felt unsafe.

Drunk people are the same worldwide (though I cannot remember seeing any fist fights etc here), so I think your experience in that regard will serve you well. For people living on the streets, unlike North America most homeless people in Japan tend to keep to themselves and don’t ask for anything.

As for crime, while no place is 100% safe, Japan has an incredibly low “random crime” rate (ie getting mugged etc), so even in seedier areas you are mostly fine (in my opinion). The most common type of crime most tourists might need to be concerned about would be scams where you get “willingly coerced” into a bar/hostess or host club/adult establishment for a certain price only to be given a much higher bill after drinking a lot and have some scary guy threaten to call the cops if you don’t pay and then march you to an ATM. So, as long as you are careful about those places, you should be safe.

(Personal feelings: I have a feeling that a person with a disability may be safer with regards to this because such places tend to be in inaccessible buildings, and preconceptions that people with disabilities don’t have money and are therefore not worth it, or it is “too mean” to do to disabled people, may end up help you avoid it. So, safety by ableism? 🙄)

Hope this helps!

• Carlos

August 1, 2024 at 5:27 pm

Thank you for your blunt and honest reply. I am not fond of ‘sugarcoating’ anything.

From what you said, my living in a major world city by myself will come in handy. While I generally don’t get bothered by the homeless here, those with mental disorders do get me a little scared. Thankfully, my power chair goes faster than they can walk, so I can ‘outrun’ them, not giving them a chance to do anything beyond verbal harassment.

As for the club scam, I’m aware of similar ones targeting gay men. The LGBT+ Tokyo YT channel I watch has addressed this. And, as you’ve pointed out, the clubs they mentioned were upstairs with no elevators.

• Tony

August 1, 2024 at 4:28 pm

Carlos,

I was there in June using my power wheelchair and found the people in Japan to be very respectful of disabled people. Giving you first priority at venues.

I went to Disneyland Tokyo and I had a great time there. I went on some rides and the staff went above what they had to do to help me.

One thing to note is that some cafes and bars are so tiny or have stairs.

I highly recommend Japan as a safe place to visit for anyone.

Happy Holidays 😊

• Carlos

August 1, 2024 at 5:30 pm

Did you travel by yourself or with others?

As for Tokyo Disney, I live in Anaheim, CA (Disneyland’s home) and have gone to Disneyland by myself a lot. So, as long as I prepare myself, I’m open to going to Tokyo Disney by myself.

• Nicola

August 1, 2024 at 5:22 pm

I can honestly say Japan cities are probably the safest I’ve ever felt. I certainly think if you’re from LA and you’re used to being out and about independently you’d be ok. I found Japanese people to be very respectful generally and with the exception of the after work drinks culture (drunk men in suits!) I didn’t come across the same groups binge drinking culture that we have in the UK that can sometimes be intimidating.

I’d second what was said regarding access to places. In terms of restaurants I found Osaka the easiest place to find restaurants without steps and big enough to actually access in the first place. Trains are excellent. I don’t travel without my husband at home but in Japan I’d feel comfortable doing so myself.

• Nicola

August 1, 2024 at 5:23 pm

I should say I meant the few drunk people I saw weren’t intimidating at all

Skip to content