Renting a WAV

• Renting a WAV

Posted by travelfan0805 on August 14, 2024 at 4:34 am

Hello, I just found this forum and what a great resource! I’m in a power wheelchair and will be visiting Japan for the first time this November. We have decided we’d like to rent a vehicle with a built in ramp so that we have the freedom to explore the countryside and smaller villages like Shirakawa-go, Takayama, Hakone and the Fuji Five Lakes area.

What is the best place to rent this type of vehicle near Hakone and return to Kanazawa? I know Nippon rent a car has a few universal car rentals. How about Toyota rent a car? I can’t seem to find an email address to contact them. Is there another company I am missing that you would recommend? There are only 3 of us including the wheelchair user so we would like something small.

Josh Grisdale replied 2 weeks, 6 days ago 5 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • moyagray

August 14, 2024 at 5:33 am

I am also interested in renting a WAV in November to go to those areas! Hopefully we can find a rental place!

• Ohayo Travel

Concierge
    August 14, 2024 at 8:47 am

there is an inquiry form but Japanese page only. if you could use translator app.
    https://rent.toyota.co.jp/inquiry/form/

• Geordie Travels

August 15, 2024 at 1:02 am

Hope you get the answer you’re seeking soon, but just wanted to chime and say welcome to tabifolk! Glad you found our community.

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    August 16, 2024 at 12:49 pm

Hi! I run tabifolk – glad to have you here!

Yes, you can rent vans with ramps out of the back at various rental places. Be sure to check if it can hold your power wheelchair though as they may be smaller or have a lower roof than expected. Also, some places may not let you rent in one place and return it to another place.

Keep us updated with a success (so others can use them in the future as well), or follow up question! We’re here for you!

• travelfan0805

August 29, 2024 at 4:24 am

I was able to find a Toyota Sienta (Well cab) model on https://rent.toyota.co.jp/. It must be the Japanese version of the site as the English version doesn’t have the well cab option.

However, I am somewhat confused and unsure if the Sienta model has a built ramp (which I need for my power wheelchair). Or I read a few things online that the Sienta can store a fold up chair in the back but doesn’t have a built in ramp/slope. So I am confused if I reserved the version with a ramp or not. And I cannot find a Toyota email contact anywhere.

Has anyone rented the Sienta from this company and did it have a built in ramp?

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
      August 29, 2024 at 9:36 am

Can I ask what type of power wheelchair you use? I use an Invacare Aviva and getting in a Sienta required reclining my backrest an incredible amount to get in since it is quite low inside. It is designed for Japanese manual wheelchairs, not power wheelchairs.

If it is a Toyota, I recommend a “Boxy” or “Noa”.

• travelfan0805

August 30, 2024 at 12:55 am

It’s a smallish Quickie power wheelchair. Dimensions: Height: 93cm, Depth: 89cm, Width: 56cm

When I choose Welcab vehicle option on the Japanese website, these are the options it gives me. So it appears that these 4 vehicle options SHOULD have a ramp since I selected the Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles option in Step 1. What do you think?

• travelfan0805

August 30, 2024 at 12:56 am

It also mentions this in Step 1: “You can get on and off smoothly while remaining in your wheelchair. Two types are available: lift type and slope type.”

I am not sure what that means exactly…

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    August 30, 2024 at 8:50 am

Here is a place in Tokyo you could try – they have an email so you could at least contact them ahead of time.

https://www.ucmj.jp/carrent_lift/

I feel very nervous about the Toyota one unless you can actually communicate directly – it would be a holiday-ruiner to show up and not actually be able to use the car…

Do you have a travel agent etc in Japan that could help arrange it?

• travelfan0805

August 30, 2024 at 10:22 am

Thank you, I will check that out. No we don’t have a travel agent. I’m doing all the planning and we plan on visiting Tokyo, Mt Fuji area, Takayama, Kanazawa, and Kyoto. We’d like to rent the WAV for the Mt Fuji/Takayama/Kanazawa portion since we’ll be visiting places that may not have wheelchair accessible transport.

I wonder if our hotel in Tokyo would be willing to contact the car rental company in Japan using the Japanese toll free number. I may ask them about it. Im definitely worried about showing up to pick up the vehicle and it not working. That would be awful. 🙁

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
      August 30, 2024 at 1:21 pm

It doesn’t hurt to ask! You may want to see if a travel agent here would be willing to handle communication for a fee.

Skip to content