Mobility Scooter Charging Question

• Mobility Scooter Charging Question

Posted by debbie246 on July 18, 2024 at 1:42 pm

Hello everyone. I will be traveling to Japan for the first time from the USA. I will have a mobility scooter and will need to plug it in to charge it at the hotel overnight. Can anyone tell me what I might need so that I don’t blow the fuse in my charger. I did this while traveling in Italy when I plugged it into the adapter I brought with me and don’t want it to happen again. (The device also must be approved to go on an airplane and a cruise ship) Thank you for any information you can give.

debbie246 replied 1 month, 3 weeks ago 6 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • kbfinlrd

July 18, 2024 at 1:50 pm

I would ask the company you bought the scooter from. I’ve travelled internationally with my chair but haven’t had to charge it yet.

• debbie246

July 18, 2024 at 4:41 pm

I tried that. They were not very helpful 😕

• kbfinlrd

July 18, 2024 at 11:26 pm

I’m sorry.

• debbie246

July 19, 2024 at 1:52 am

I appreciate you trying to help! It was a good idea, thank you!!

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    July 18, 2024 at 2:05 pm

Most chargers can handle 100-220v these days, but not all of them.

Somewhere on your charger there should be a little area where they list certifications, voltage, watts, amps etc. Can you attach a picture of that?

• debbie246

July 18, 2024 at 4:40 pm

Thanks for responding! Here is a picture of the charger.

• DreadPirateGarak

July 19, 2024 at 7:10 am

Your charger (as pictured above) should work fine in Japan. Japan uses the same AC standards (110V/15 Amps) and outlets as the US and Canada does. You may need an adapter if your outlet is Type A (two prongs) and the cord on the charger is grounded (three prongs – Type B).

• debbie246

July 19, 2024 at 11:36 am

Thank you for the visual! My plug is not grounded. It has two prongs (both the same size). I guess I’m just so worried that the same thing that happened to me in Italy will happen again in Japan (as soon as I plugged it in, the fuse inside my charger fried). So if you think I’ll be fine just plugging it in to the wall outlet that is a big relief for me. Someone told me today I needed a 2000-watt step up/down voltage transformer. I looked it up and it weighs over 10 pounds and costs nearly $100! I also don’t know if it would be allowed on an airplane or cruise ship. Thank you very much!

• Anne

July 18, 2024 at 2:28 pm

I travelled to Japan last year from the US with my Pride go go scooter. I was able to plug my charger in every night at the hotels we stayed at without a problem or needing any kind of adapter.

• debbie246

July 19, 2024 at 11:38 am

Thank you for the information Anne! It makes me feel better knowing that you were able to charge you scooter without any problems.

• Han

July 18, 2024 at 3:10 pm

Europe has 220-240V. So that is a problem when you put in a device only meant for 110V. Japan has 110V.

I live in Europe. So for my wheelchair I need an adapter. There are small once up to 50W for a phone charger. But for a wheelchair charger you need a heavy one. Check your charger hoe many W and search the internet.

Skip to content