Mobility scooter and JR itineraries

• Mobility scooter and JR itineraries

Posted by Rob on August 4, 2023 at 8:36 am

I use a small mobility scooter that seems to meet all the requirements for JR trains. However, I’m wondering if there is a service out there (or if anyone has advice) that can help me figure out which stations I can use to make connections between Tokyo and Gotemba and then between Gotemba and Kyoto. Also, I understand I need to contact JR ahead of time to make arrangements, I’m wondering how to do that. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Rob replied 1 year, 1 month ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    August 4, 2023 at 10:18 am

Hi Rob,

I would just start with Google Maps to get the route (including transfers etc) and then use the following website to see if scooters are ok or not.

https://www.ecomo-rakuraku.jp/en

You can enter in a station name and in the details there is a section called “Movement information in handle type electric wheelchair” (which is what they call scooters). It says the answer in Japanese (I guess they made images instead of text) but if it is a circle, you can use your scooter there. If you get an “X”, then you would maybe need to adjust your route to avoid that station.

As for requesting help from JR, if it is just a local line or a train without reserved seating, you can just show up at the station and tell them where you want to go and they will assist you (though you might need to wait a bit). If it is a train with reserved seating (like the Shinkansen or Odakyu’s Romance Car etc) then you will need to to go in advance and book your tickets. How far in advance depends on the train line, etc. But reserving accessible seating on the shinkansen can take up to an hour, so I wouldn’t recommend going the day-of.

Hope this helps!

• Rob

August 4, 2023 at 10:59 am

Thanks, that’s great! Appreciate it.

Skip to content