metro and train outside of Tokyo with power wheelchair

• metro and train outside of Tokyo with power wheelchair

Posted by Stephane DEFREYNE on August 19, 2024 at 1:43 am

Hi everyone,

so we come again to Japan in October, and now we will leave Tokyo to discover Kyoto, Nara, Osaka and Hiroshima.

Using the Tokyo metro with a power wheelchair was a real pleasure, everything was easy and people were kind and helpful, and really efficient.

Are public transports as easy as in Tokyo everywhere in Japan ? We will use metro and train mainly, I know shinkansen is a little special but what about “normal” trains, metro and buses ?

I guess we will have to be patient if it is crowded (but we plan things to avoid touristic crowds), but is there any other potential problems ? Is every station accessible ? Are there employees to put a slope everywhere ?

We will adapt, but it can be cool to know about how it is going before experimenting 🙂

See you soon !

Josh Grisdale replied 4 weeks, 1 day ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Tony

August 19, 2024 at 2:02 am

I did all those places in June and I found it all a very pleasant experience. I was in my power wheelchair and given priority in all cities.

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    August 19, 2024 at 10:40 am

Hello,

For the cities you mentioned, likely the experience will be the same as Tokyo (though, the smaller the city, the fewer the options).

I would note:

• In Kyoto you will need to rely on buses to get to many of the sites. While they are accessible, they are also very crowded. Getting on at the beginning point of a bus route will be fine, but trying to get on at a midway stop can be extremely hard as the buses are crammed and very few tourists will get off to make room for you. So I would suggest planning your routes so it isn’t as much of an issue. It might be good to at least research some accessible taxi’s in the area in case you decide that is a better option.
    • In Hiroshima there is a street trolly / tram and while it is accessible in part, due to the platforms being very narrow, not every stop is accessible. You may want to look into that when planning your route.

Hope that helps!

• Stephane DEFREYNE

August 21, 2024 at 3:04 am

Hello,

thanks for the tips !

We are searching a wheelchair accessible taxi service in Kyoto that can handle my Permobil M3 Corpus, but it seems difficult to find.

Any good company or service to recommand ?

Thanks again for all,

Regards,

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
      August 21, 2024 at 8:48 pm

I think @wanping or @tak can help you!

• Jul

August 20, 2024 at 12:09 am

Hello,

In nara last august, we , with my husband , we took a bus because it is big : it was ok.

I think maybe in Kyoto it is a Little bit morecomplicated than in Tokyo : métro is not always the best way to go to temples.

We sometimes took taxis if i remember.

Have a good travel

Skip to content