Last min advice

• Last min advice

Posted by Valerie on August 7, 2024 at 10:57 am

Hi guys, only a couple of weeks until we fly out to Tokyo. I have a wheelchair organised thanks to Josh and we can’t wait. Are there any tips you guys can offer on things I can do before I fly to make my life easier. Which cash cards for using at vending machines are best, is a data card essential for decent wifi and can it be bought in advance? Any tips you have, I’d love to hear them,

Thank you x

Val

Valerie replied 1 month, 1 week ago 8 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    August 7, 2024 at 11:13 am

Must be excited!!

For the data, how many people are in your group? SIM (or better yet eSIM) are great for 1-2 people since you can just use your phone as normal. But, you need one for each phone.

In a group, a “pocket wifi” (portable router) is much more economical since several people can use it. (Just remember, it needs to be charged as well!)

More info: https://www.accessible-japan.com/internet-access-when-visiting-japan/

You may want to check your local carrier as you may have low-cost roaming or a certain number of gb per month international data etc

• butterflyqueen

August 8, 2024 at 10:02 am

Thanks for the info, I will have to check into that!

• alliejay

August 10, 2024 at 9:46 pm

Definitely agree with @joshgrisdale. A pocket WiFi is easy and indispensable. Have a blast!

• Sarah

August 7, 2024 at 12:32 pm

For vending machines, cash is ok. You can also use the Suica card. The suica card is handy if you are taking public transport. You need to buy one at the airport as they aren’t sold anywhere else. You can buy from a machine. You might need Yen for that, otherwise you can buy with credit card at the desk.

You can also try to download the Suica app and put it in your wallet on your phone. Try this before you leave.

• Valerie

August 8, 2024 at 12:05 am

Thanks Josh and Sarah. I’m gonna have a look into these. Tabifolk has been great for ideas and info. Xxx

Much appreciated

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
      August 8, 2024 at 4:38 pm

Great to hear! Please be sure to join other groups and invite others to join!

• Valerie

August 12, 2024 at 8:22 am

I really appreciate all your help and i hope you are all safe and well.

Gʻ I think the pocket wifi is best for us. There are two of us but it seems easier than getting Sim cards. Is it best to get it ordered to the hotel via the links you provided Josh? And a suica card is a must I think. Will we need 2 of these or can we use the same one?

I’ve downloaded klook and I’m interested in team lab borderless. It mentions a disability certificate that gives extra discounts. How do I go about getting one of these and are they needed for going on trains etc?

Josh you mentioned joining g other groups, can you point me in the right direction as I’m not really navigating the site too well.

Also guys, Is it still okay to be traveling to Japan at the minute while it’s under high alert like this? Just a little nervous

Take care,

Val x

• wct24

August 12, 2024 at 3:40 pm

Hi Val we are also going to teamlabs and you can only get a disabled ticket if you are a resident of Japan we have booked our tickets already can’t wait we go in Sept.x

• gimom07

August 13, 2024 at 2:00 am

So teamLab is wheelchair friendly? Which one are you going to?

• Valerie

August 13, 2024 at 3:31 am

Both teamlab borderless and planets both look incredible and there are deals you can get on klook. Any other suggestions on what’s worth a visit that I’ve maybe missed?

• tabita

August 12, 2024 at 4:12 pm

Ordering a pocket wifi is easy access for your trip. Just one Suica card is fine to share. Unfortunately disability certificates are only for Japanese residents. Top spots often offer discounts if you discuss access needs beforehand though.

Skip to content