JR Pass – Shinkansen wheelchair reserved seat

• JR Pass – Shinkansen wheelchair reserved seat

Posted by Stephane DEFREYNE on August 9, 2024 at 1:54 am

Hello everybody,

so we are planning our next trip to Japan this october 2024.

We stay in Tokyo 3 days, then we go to Kyoto and sleep there for 7 days but planned to visit several places from there : Osaka, Nara, Hiroshima and Nagoya.
    After a lot of complicated calculations, we think it should be better to get the JR Pass because it will offer more flexibility in our organization, and excepted the first part from Tokyo from Kyoto that will not be possible to include because of the dates, we will take the 7 days JR pass to include all the other journeys of our trip into it. Once in Japan, we will exchange the voucher for a real JRPass valid from date to date.
    If I understand well, with this we can make the journey but still need to book a wheelchair place (+a normal seat for my wife) to be sure to have a seat in the train.

I found that we have to go directly at a station desk to reserve a seat, and it may take some time.

I think I can prepare a complete list of the date, hour and station from/to where we have to go, and make all the bookings at once.

Is this a good idea ? Or is it too complicated and coming from a paranoId european mind ? 🙂

Here in Belgium we have to book every wheelchair assistance weeks in advance to be sure, so I was a little lost first time in Tokyo metro seeing that we can just come and tell where we go and everythings go fine.

Is taking Shinkansen train as easy as using Tokyo metro ?

Josh Grisdale replied 1 month, 1 week ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    August 9, 2024 at 12:26 pm

If you want to sit on the deck (the area between carriages where the door and toilet is, you can be a little looser with timing.

However, the seats in the accessible carriage are reserved, so you can’t just sit anywhere and do need to book them. (There are other carriages that are free seating and it is like the metro where you sit where it is open. But it isn’t accessible.) You can book everything at once if you know the dates and times, or book one at a time as needed. You should book at least a day in advance though. It can take quite a bit of time, so, doing everything at once might be best.

Skip to content