Japan in a wheelchair

• Japan in a wheelchair

Posted by disneyanytime on August 4, 2024 at 12:35 am

I wanted to share some of our trip that we took to Japan. My son is 17 and in a manual wheelchair. He is about 75 pounds so I transfer him myself.

We found Japan to be very accessible. All train stations had either an elevator or a stair climber that an employee could work to get him up or down the stairs. We often had to go out a different exit to use the elevator but we were fine with that!

The handicap bathrooms in Japan are amazing. I just wish we had something like it in the US. They were large, had changing tables and other equipment if needed.

We did everything we wanted to do and more. We knew our limitations such as going into smaller restaurants but that didn’t stop us at all! We rode in taxis with the wheelchair folded up in the back, rode ferries, trains, bullet trains, and even a street car. It was fantastic!

We did a Raman experiences at Atariya Shokudo through Ramen tours. Josh put my in touch with them. My son couldn’t go behind the counter to make the ramen but he sat where he could see it being done and he got the first bowl. We also did Disneyland for 4 days.

Our transportation to and from the airport was someone that we got the name from on this forum. Jun. It was an accessible van and he was super nice and helpful.

We stayed at a Monday Apart and then two Mimaru hotels. All hotel rooms were large enough for 4 of us, the wheelchair, luggage and lots of room to move around. Our last Mimaru we stayed in an accessible room. The bathroom was large and was all one piece rather then it being split into two.

Please let me know if you have any questions. We walked an rolled over 125 miles in our 17 days and rode who knows how many trains and elevators. I would love to go back someday!

disneyanytime replied 1 month, 1 week ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Nick

August 4, 2024 at 4:26 am

Hi Yes, We had the same amazing experience in May .My wife is totally dependent on her wheelchair. She relies on me to transfer and help with her general duties but it was the best experience of our lives. The most important is do your homework. That’s part of anyone’s holiday sure! We all just have to do a bit more homework to make it happen with limited issues . We have had more problems planning a holiday in Britain than Japan. What a great country. We took a 14 hour flight from London to Tokyo . Some people may say why not stop off half way and catch a connecting flight, well my thoughts were no as the airline staff are above amazing and will look after all disabled guests till they land and even more. Our flight attendants were 100% committed to looking after us from arranging an isle chair to go to the toilet to constantly asking us if we were ok . We quickly learned after an hour or two that we did not need to worry and basically gave them an easy time without asking for anything as they knew exactly when we wanted anything. Fantastic . Best experience of our lives . As every one knows once you are there then your holiday begins and you are like everyone else as long as you do your homework!

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
      August 4, 2024 at 2:05 pm

Great to hear! What airline did you fly?

• disneyanytime

August 5, 2024 at 5:58 am

We flew Delta.

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    August 4, 2024 at 2:10 pm

Thank you for taking the time to write this! It is always good to hear the end of the story.

I’m glad the ramen experience worked out (with adaptations) and I’m sure @wilgo will be happy to hear his transportation services helped.

• wilgo

August 4, 2024 at 5:08 pm

Very pleased to hear that our services were helpful during your stay in Tokyo.

Skip to content