Is the SmartDrive acceptable at Japanese airports?

• Is the SmartDrive acceptable at Japanese airports?

Posted by James Exton on August 18, 2024 at 4:38 pm

Hi everyone,
    I know this question seems strange to ask because flying with a smart drive isn’t an issue when flying in North America or Europe.
    My biggest fear is being stuck in a country because check-in staff/airport security wouldn’t let me fly with my smart drive, even though it is IATA certified.
    Does anyone have experience of using a smart drive in Japan and passing through Japanese airports?
    Thanks.

James Exton replied 1 month ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Tak

August 18, 2024 at 4:47 pm

Hello.

When you say “smart drive”, do you mean a drive unit that can be added later?

I think it depends on the airline’s rules, not IATA’s.

I think the biggest problem is the battery specifications. I recommend checking with the airline.

Regards.

Tak

• alliejay

August 20, 2024 at 8:43 am

I do not use one, but I noticed ANA has an assistance email where you can send information about your wheelchair ahead of your flight. Not sure how much it helps to submit the information ahead of time to the airline but maybe worth a try?

• MsChanChan

August 18, 2024 at 4:48 pm

I had experience about bringing smart drive with JAL. I encountered no difficulty when taking international flight with smart drive. However, when taking domestic flight, the airport / airline staff spent a lot of time to research for info (even I had all written documents) and “seek for approval”. Allow extra extra time for checking in.

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    August 18, 2024 at 5:55 pm

I think @joanp uses one and has been to Japan twice – maybe he can comment too.

• James Exton

August 20, 2024 at 4:10 pm

Thanks everyone. I always check with the airline anyway but some airlines (Turkish decades, for example) say it depends on airport security rules.

Skip to content