hoist rental

• hoist rental

Posted by Stephane DEFREYNE on October 18, 2023 at 5:38 pm

Hello all,

I’m coming on saturday, and we booked our travel through a specialized travel agency for disabled people.
    I need a hoist to get out of my wheelchair, and the travel agency rented a hoist to a supplier in Tokyo.
    The supplier doesn’t accept I use the hoist before receiving use instructions, but we arrive late on saturday (8PM) and they only propose to meet us for giving instructions on sunday evening.
    I know respecting the rules in Japan is very important, but how can I explain to the supplier that I use a hoist at home and everytime I travel for 35 years now, and I don’t risk any accident using the hoist by myself ?
    Or can I bypass the procedure and use the hoist without instructions anyway ?
    It is more a problem of etiquette than a real problem for me, but I guess it is quite disturbing to accomodate to Japanese manners when you have a 14 hours flight coming from Europe to Japan…
    What do you think about this ?

Josh Grisdale replied 11 months, 1 week ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Carlos

October 18, 2023 at 6:00 pm

If you’re getting the hoist first and you already know how to use it safely before they see you, just use it before they give you the instructions. When they do meet with you, don’t voluntarily tell them you know how to use it already. What they don’t know won’t hurt them.

Or, just tell them that you already know how to use it safely.

This is very different from when I had to rent a battery charger in London, UK. (I was coming from the States which uses a different voltage and plug.) I never spoke to, saw, or talked to the supplier at all. It was all done online. They dropped off and later picked up the charger at the hotel’s front desk. The hotel was nice enough to store it in their back office since I arrived and departed on the weekend.

• Stephane DEFREYNE

October 18, 2023 at 6:28 pm

Thanks for your reply,
      I already told that I know how to use a hoist, but they insist.
      I think they matter because a problem of responsability in case of accident.

It is a common problem when you have disabilities : you have to take risks that most people won’t take just because you want to live your life. I’m living in an appartment at 5th level, and I know that in case of fire I cannot use the elevator.
      I’m a little upset on the travel agency because they should know all of this if they organize things well and have REAL experience. It seems not like this 🙂

Regards,

• Carlos

October 18, 2023 at 8:08 pm

Yes, it’s very frustrating that too many assume we don’t know how to use our own medical equipment. I would just let the supplier do their speech so there won’t be any conflict. Just nod your head in agreement. Just remind yourself that you only have to deal with them once, maybe twice, and that’s it.

• Deb

October 18, 2023 at 6:30 pm

Hey Stephane – I’m sorry I’m not here with a reply – but wanted to ask what company that specializes in accessible travel you are using and this was the only way I could find to send you a message! LOL I’ve used a company a few years back but they don’t have Japan as a place they have tours for. I am pleased that I have some transportation arranged but am looking for some in different areas of the country.

Thanks in advance for the information. Deb

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    October 18, 2023 at 8:58 pm

Hello

I don’t know the details etc, but it is likely not just an explanation.

The companies have insurance rules to follow etc and when you rent the equipment you need a contract that must be signed. Like when you rent a car, they need you to sign something. So, my guess(!) is it is more than just an explanation but more of a contract… maybe.

• momosakura

October 19, 2023 at 1:33 pm

Mr.Josh Grisdale

Hello. We are high school students belonging to Iguchi High School in Hiroshima Prefecture. We are currently doing an exploratory activity at school called ACT, and as part of it we found out about you and your website. Our local tourist attraction, Miyajima Island, was not mentioned on your website, so we would like you to publish about Miyajima Island with our help. So we actually toured Miyajima using a wheelchair. Could you please use the information you collected during that trip to include Miyajima in Accessible Japan? Also, if there is any information needed, we will collect information by sightseeing Miyajima! Looking forward to hearing back from you.

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
      October 19, 2023 at 4:20 pm

Thank you. I sent a contact request to you. Please click “accept” and then we can message. 👍

Skip to content