Flying into Haneda airport with a psychiatric service dog

• Flying into Haneda airport with a psychiatric service dog

Posted by ginesp30 on August 5, 2024 at 3:32 am

Hello!

My husband and I will be landing at Haneda airport with his psychiatric service dog, and I have a question about the travel between the terminal and Animal Quarantine.

Haneda airport details on their website that all animals must be crated/caged while in the airport (apart from service dogs).

BUT I understand that Japan does not recognize psychiatric service dogs in the same way Western countries do. Japan seems to only recognize Guide dogs, hearing dogs, and mobility assistance dogs. So I’m wondering if airport personnel will expect his service dog to be crated while in transit between different terminals/customs/baggage claims.

Has anyone else had this same challenge?

ginesp30 replied 1 month, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • HarryUSA

August 5, 2024 at 4:44 am

How big is your dog? If it is not a trained Service Dog eligible for the same title in Japan [you can easily get this document if it is], it will very, very likely require crating in a stroller or hand luggage.

• ginesp30

August 6, 2024 at 12:51 am

He is about 35 pounds/16kg, so not a small dog, but definitely not a “large” dog.

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    August 5, 2024 at 10:11 pm

As Harry mentioned, Japan has a much narrower definition of service dogs and your situation is likely outside of it.

The best thing would be to contact the Japan Guide Dog Association: https://www.moudouken.net/en/

They can at least point you in the right direction.

Please let us know how it goes.

• ginesp30

August 6, 2024 at 12:51 am

Great! Thank you for the information, I will check out the website.

Skip to content