Disabled french student doing an exhange in Japan next year

• Disabled french student doing an exhange in Japan next year

Posted by romainb on June 29, 2024 at 4:56 am

Hello,

I am Romain, a 23 years old French student having a cerebral palsy and using an electric wheelchair.

I am writting this message with the last bit of hope I have.

I am currently doing a Master’s degree in International Business Law in France and was selected amongst 3 students to do an exchange in Japan in Chuo university ( on the Myogadani campus ) or in Fukuoka ( on Seinan University).

I don’t have much time left to decide if I can pursue this Master’s degree which has always been my dream as I’ve graduated with a double degree in law and foreign languages ( japanese and english ) before.

I have always wanted to study in Japan but sadly, I can’t manage to find an accessible accomodation that is close to the Myogadani campus in Tokyo. Same thing for Seinan University in Fukuoka. I’m slowly giving up on my dream…. Here’s my last hope and I wanted to ask if somebody could help me finding an accessible accomodation for next year in Tokyo or Fukuoka that are close to the faculty( from January to July 2025 ).

I don’t want to give up on my dream just because of my handicap

Thank you

Romain

Oshidori-Shuttle replied 2 months, 2 weeks ago 6 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • Oshidori-Shuttle

June 29, 2024 at 6:51 am

I just Google it and found a real estate company who has accommodation for you.

https://www.homes.co.jp/inquire/realtor/mid-121793h5jzLok3_OqM/input/?click_position=friendlydoor_sp_list_single_02

Please try this one, It is written in Japanese, hope you are ok with it.

Good luck!

• romainb

June 29, 2024 at 8:14 pm

Thanks, I’ll try to contact this real estate agency. I can read japanese even if I have some difficulties to understand all the kanjis.

Do you know how can I say that a want a wheelchair accessible accomodation with disabled-friendly toilets and bathroom in Japanese please ?

I don’t want them to misunderstand my needs…

Thanks a lot !

• Oshidori-Shuttle

July 3, 2024 at 9:10 pm

Hi Romain,

To avoid misunderstanding, ask them to put someone who speaks English or French.

As soon as you get a contact with them then they are sending emails then you can talk about the details.

I think this is the best way.

By the way, this is the answer to your question.

車椅子を使用する人のための住居

Good luck!

• romainb

July 4, 2024 at 1:05 am

Hello,

I did contact them a few days ago, they told me that they cannot provide any accomodation if I am not already based in Japan with a Japanese number, they told me that they could provide me offers when I will be in Japan and that I have to stay at hotels first, but I can’t do this, it’s not even sure that they would find me anything when I’m there….

• Oshidori-Shuttle

July 4, 2024 at 1:11 pm

What a pity, but it’s a very Japanese approach.

maybe you need to find someone who can help you.

just Google and found this, you can try this one.

https://www.jasso.go.jp/statistics/gakusei_shogai_kaiketsu/column/column20.html

it says they can help students who has disabilities coming or going to overseas.

just keep trying!

Good luck!

• Tony

June 29, 2024 at 1:40 pm

Don’t give up 🙏

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    June 29, 2024 at 8:32 pm
    • romainb

June 29, 2024 at 9:47 pm

Hello Josh, thanks for sharing this article. I’ve just read it. There are a lot of useful information!

I’ll try sending a mail to Oakhouse maybe I could find an accomodation with them.

Can I add you in case I have any further questions ?

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  romainb.
    • Josh Grisdale

Concierge
      June 29, 2024 at 10:36 pm

You can add me as a contact. But I it is also good to keep posting here since we can share knowledge with everyone, including those who might want to be exchange students in the future 👍

• romainb

July 1, 2024 at 3:06 pm

Hello Josh, I did contact Oakhouse and the only wheelchair accessible accomodation in Tokyo that they have is 1h 8min from Chuo University with 2 changes of trains, they said it is most likely a not feasible daily commute…

I don’t really know what to do, I’m waiting for other mails reply but even Chuo university told me they’re unable to host me as a exchange student they told me this : ” Generally speaking, it is extremely difficult to find accommodations with accessibility rooms for wheelchair users in Japan.

Maybe you can imagine, Japan is far behind in finding housing and hiring care workers for wheelchair users even in Tokyo.”

It is very discouraging and I really don’t know what to do…

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
      July 1, 2024 at 3:53 pm

@zeng can you offer any suggestions?

Your university helped you, right?

• Jul

June 30, 2024 at 5:17 pm

Hello,

Don’t give up.

l am French and we went to visit Japon next year with my husband in électric wheelchair. Everything was easier ( train, métro, help…) to électric wheelchair.

I’am sure that people on this forum Could help You finding a place to stay.

Everything is easier Than in France.

My daugter likes to go to study there too.

I Couldn’t help you more but go on.

• romainb

July 1, 2024 at 2:59 pm

Thanks for this encouraging message!

• Wanping Aw

July 2, 2024 at 7:45 am

Hi Romain, I would recommend contacting Chuo Universitys student services to ask for advice.

I did a Google search and many universities around the area like Tokyo University, Ochanomizu Womens University offer accessible rooms in their dormitories on campus. I tried to search for Chuo University, and couldnt find any, but this is could be due to the wrong combination of keywords I used. Do try to talk to your university first! I am sure they can provide some useful information to you 😀

• romainb

July 3, 2024 at 2:50 pm

Hello, thanks for your help! I did contact Chuo university in the first place, but their only dormitories are on the Tama Campus, in Hachiōji. However these dormitories are 1h40 away from the Myogadani campus ( where the faculty of law is located since last year). Doing a 1h40 commute to go there and to go back to the dorm is impossible for me. There is also 3 train changes to do, so with my wheelchair it will take way more than 1h40 each time…

Besides that Chuo informed me that they have no other dormitories and told me this ” unfortunately, we guess that Chuo is not able to host you as an exchange student in Law”.

I am still actively searching for an accomodation but I can’t find any except hotels which are really expensive ( for four months I would have to pay 18000 euros).

I still have some hope but I wouldn’t have thought that it was close to impossible finding a wheelchair accessible accomodation in Tokyo…

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    July 3, 2024 at 4:19 pm

You might want to reach out to DPI Japan about this. They are a disabled rights group and can correspond in English.

https://www.dpi-japan.org/en/

They could possibly suggest some options for housing.

I don’t want to get too political, and I certainly haven’t seen the emails etc, but the university should be legally required to “reasonably accommodate” your needs (https://www.japaneselawtranslation.go.jp/en/laws/view/3052 , it became required for private businesses as well this year). DPI provides advocacy services as well. (Note: I’m not suggesting legal action etc, just that DPI could help act as an advocate between you and the university.)

• romainb

July 3, 2024 at 5:32 pm

Thanks for your reply I will try to contact them, maybe they help me finding an accomodation we will see…

Skip to content