Disability Discounts in Japan

• Disability Discounts in Japan

Posted by Ernesto Jun on October 25, 2024 at 3:25 am

I read this from the Accessible Japan in FB post and wondering what if our Family Physician here in Canada can write me a note about my disability to qualify me for the Disability Discounts in Japan? I’m not an ODSP ( Ontario Disability Program ) recipient and wondering if a Family Physicians Note is good enough/acceptable or not. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts/suggestions/advice if it is possible for a tourist to avail this discounts and what proof can i bring?

Looking forward of hearing from Josh or anyone whose been in Japan before

Evelin replied 4 hours, 7 minutes ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • k9audio

October 25, 2024 at 3:41 am

I think that will depend on the place you’re visiting. I’ll be visiting the making of Harry Potter and team labs borderless both of which have accessibility ticketing.

I reached out to both and both have different stipulations. Team labs simply requires a piece of ID that has the word Disability printed on it, whereas the making of Harry Potter uses the Disability handbook, which is only available in Japan. I sent them an email with pictures of my CNIB card as well as the idea I received when being paired with my Seeing Eye dog, both of which state that I’m legally blind. They confirmed that that would be excepted, but I’m not exactly gonna hold my breath until I’m there. I am also keeping the email chain as proof if I encounter any pushback. Your best bet would be to reach out to each individual experience/company, after all depending where you are in Japan they may not be able to read English

• Tak

October 25, 2024 at 8:28 am

Good morning.

The answer to your question is… In most places, you probably won’t be able to get a discount unless you have a “certificate issued under the Japanese system”. However, this is not always the case, so please ask verbally at the reception desk of the historical heritage you are visiting. Maybe you will be able to get a discount in some places.

I hope your trip will be a precious memory.

Sincerely yours

Tak

• Evelin

October 25, 2024 at 6:15 pm

Hello, my experience is that in castles, national museums, shrines, … it was enough to show ID of multiple sclerosis or just parking card for disabled persons to get free tickets for 2.

Skip to content