Car rental or public transportation?

• Car rental or public transportation?

Posted by ek8095 on August 20, 2024 at 11:42 am

Hello

We have an upcoming trip to Japan and will be in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto and Izu area.

We are a family of 8 including my brother who is in a wheelchair. My father which is originally from Japan wants to rent a car that is wheelchair accessible, but I am concerned it might not be needed or just more challenging to deal with vs taking public transportation.

The only area that would make sense for me is in Izu and perhaps in Tokyo as my Uncle who lives there said there is no transportation to the temple for my family. Either way any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tak replied 4 weeks, 1 day ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Tak

August 21, 2024 at 11:20 am

Hello.

First, I’ll write some unfortunate news.

There are no rental cars in Japan that can accommodate eight people including a wheelchair. I don’t know your brother’s physical condition, so I can’t say for sure… but there is one car model that can accommodate eight people including a wheelchair if you transfer from the wheelchair to the car and store the car in the luggage space. It’s the Toyota Grand Cabin.

There are many taxi companies for people with disabilities like me, but I don’t think it would be possible for all eight people including the wheelchair to ride together.

Next, I’ll write about public transportation.

Public transportation in Japan is generally friendly.

In particular, Tokyo and Osaka have trains that go close to the main tourist spots.

However, there are big problems in Izu and Kyoto.

I don’t know where the temple in Izu you want to visit is, but in such places the main means of transportation is often by taxi.

As I mentioned before, I don’t know your brother’s physical condition.

If he is able to get out of the wheelchair for a short time, you may be able to take three taxis from the station to the temple.

But if that’s not possible…

I recommend that some of you, including your brother, use a taxi company like mine from Tokyo, and the rest of your family take the train and taxi.

As for Kyoto…

Kyoto has a well-developed bus route.

However, because many tourists visit from around the world and Japan,

most buses are 100% full.

The famous Kinkakuji Temple is about 60 minutes by bus from Kyoto Station, and about a 25-minute walk from the station if you take the subway.

There are so many famous places, so this can happen depending on where you want to go.

And hotels in Kyoto are extremely expensive.

If you’re going to Osaka and Kyoto, I think it’s better to stay in Osaka.

If you have any interests, please let me know. I can introduce you to such taxi companies in Tokyo, so please consider them as an approach to Izu.

I hope you have a good trip.

Tak

Skip to content