Free admission for those with disabilities

• Free admission for those with disabilities

Posted by BamaGirl on July 27, 2024 at 8:24 am

I was wondering what kind of paperwork I would need to prove I have a disability in order to gain free admission to museums and sites throughout Italy. I’m in the USA, and we don’t have percentages regarding disability, so I’m confused as to what I need.

Eleonora replied 2 months, 3 weeks ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Eleonora

July 28, 2024 at 11:40 pm

Hello @bamagirl – first the “unofficial” answer: if you have a visibile disability, i.e. you arrive at the museum on a wheelchair, they usually will not even ask for proof – it is a question of practical sense, they see a person with a disability, it is clear, no need for proof and they won’t hassle you with documents. But: this is my experience with friends with a visible disability (a mobility one in the specific – wheelchair user).
    In Europe there is going to be now – in a few years, it was approved by the EU institutions, now they will have to implement it in the various countries – an EU disability card, for EU citizens, which the person just shows and gets the free admissions/reductions etc – but if you are coming from the US, my suggestion is to show any document you have with “proof” of disability – and do not worry about the percentages, it should not be an issue. Just explain that this is the document that they give in the US and they should give you the various reductions/free entrances.
    I did a quick check on the Municipal museums website and they do not specify which documents are needed, so this means it should be ok with any document. Enjoy Italy!

Skip to content