Journey Behind the Falls experience at Niagara Falls in a wheelchair

• Journey Behind the Falls experience at Niagara Falls in a wheelchair

Posted by Josh Grisdale on August 27, 2024 at 11:06 am

I recently went back to Canada to visit family near Toronto and since my care attendant came all the way, I figured it would be nice to take him to see Niagara Falls.

The area around the Falls is flat enough to not be an issue in a wheelchair and most of the tourist related buildings have accessible toilets available (often as unisex toilets).

We also did the Journey Behind the Falls experience as well where you go down and can look out a few places behind the actual falls.

The normal route goes down some stairs, so staff take you to the elevator at the exit (through the gift shop).

In the tunnel there is just enough room for two wheelchairs to pass each other (I passed a scooter user) but not much more. There is also a small ditch on either side for excess water, so be careful not to get your tire stuck!

The two openings behind the falls have a ramp up to them and enough room to turn around.

The opening beside the falls has an upper and lower area with stairs being the only way between them. The upper area has a path around the stairs that let you get close enough to the opening to see the falls, but the lower level is more open. Hopefully they can add a ramp in the future.

On the way out, the staff will let your group on the elevator separately so you don’t get squashed in by other guests.

It was a fun experience in all.

Josh Grisdale replied 2 weeks, 3 days ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Geordie Travels

August 27, 2024 at 11:17 pm

Amazing! I did not even know it was possible with a wheelchair.. I was there a good few years ago and enjoyed the view from the Canadian side!

• Josh Grisdale

August 28, 2024 at 10:44 am

Well, it IS the best side of course 😛

Skip to content